In the last two weeks there was so much was happening around Gutenberg. To keep you somewhat in the loop, I interrupt my unpacking of way-too-many boxes and share a few links with you.
Next week again in full force. Stay tuned.
Have a great weekend!
Grzegorz (Greg) Ziółkowski and I published our first episode together, Episode #41. It is a great episode, and we had a lot of fun. I am delighted having Grzegorz on the show. It’s now available with show notes and transcript.
Josepha Haden Chomphosy posted Full Site Editing Scope for WP5.8 (u)
- Lesson from Phase 1 roll-out, extenders like plugins developers, site builders and theme authors didn’t have enough time to test their products with the new editor in core.
- Full-Site Editing user experience with Global Styles, Template editing and saving, will not be changing default user experience. It’s opt-in only. There is some confusion on saving template and switch from overall template to content and back. Polishing those will be out of scope for 5.8.
- Also, on the scope list for WordPress 5.8 are: Widget Editor, Navigation Screen and block, refactored Gallery Block and the List View. These components are some of the most complex, and the user experience of them will be key. “They are all high priority to complete (hopefully for WP5.8), but will be punted if they aren’t ready in time for Beta.”
Matias Ventura will demo the current state of these features to the release lead team trio of Matt Mullenweg, Josepha Haden Chomphosy and Helen Hou-Sandi.
Justin Tadlock has the skinny: Will Full Site Editing Land in WordPress 5.8? A Decision Is Forthcoming
Hector Prieto published the April Focus areas for the Gutenberg team.
As expected, it covers Widget, Navigation Screen, and Full-Site Editing with more details. Please see the “Area to be aware of” section of the post, for Block and plugin Developers, Designers and Theme builders. We talked about most of them in one or the other episode, but you find them all in one place in Hector’s post.
Kjell Reigstad published the notes from the Block Theme Meeting They team discussed among other things:
- TT1 Blocks update
- Block-based theme updates in Gutenberg 10.3 with alignment styles automatically for front and back end and the capability to use theme.json styles for every block.
- New tools for transitioning to Block-based Themes.
The deadline for the Full Site Editing Testing Call #4 has been extended until April 12th, 2021.
⏰ Don’t Miss this!
Mega-Meetup April 15th, 2021 6:30 -8:30 pm EDT / 23:30 UTC with Anne McCarthy, David Bisset and the organizers of six Florida Meetup groups. All About Full Site Editing (Coming in WordPress). Register via Meetup.com
For a more in-depth look on current Gutenberg development, the Index page with all the teams’ updates in the Core handbook has the latest.